|Our new rodent control officers, Nebo and Wilmington, in the shed|
|Bird eggs are to be found everywhere these days|
|Daisies, our 'cover crop'|
|Chad, the macho man, spreading some straw around the new veggies|
|Bok choi and flowers, part of our CSA from last week|
|mulching the new veggies on Poplar Tent Rd|
|Liuba taking pride in her work|
This past week, we went out to the field on Poplar Tent Rd to put out the squash, zucchini, and some more eggplant. We also mulched a large portion of the garden with some old straw we got from a farm down the road. Sure, it wasn't pretty, and it had started to decompose in parts, but putting the straw down will sure make our weeding a little less this summer, along with a host of other benefits. And the best part was, it was free!!
The vines are doing ok- we are almost done with our second pass through the vineyard removing little unwanted shoots from inconvenient places. Next up will be to lay down the last shoot on the trellis wire so we establish our cordon for next year. Even after all the Lime Sulfur, Neem Oil, and Copper we've put on the vines, we still have some black rot and anthracnose. Mike and Chad went through the other day to remove some of the worst leaves on the Chambourcin (they are flowering right now!!). We sprayed the Vidal (still waiting on these to flower) on Friday, and finished just minutes before a surprise thunder shower. I hope the spray took, but nothing is certain.
I expect we'll start having our farm store open in about two weeks. The only sort of surplus we have right now is Swiss Chard, and I'm fixing to load some of that up and take it to a restaurant in Salisbury to barter for Sunday Brunch.
I still haven't figured out how to turn the photos right-side up. Please forgive me! Until. next time...