Yesterday we had quite a bit of rain. So much rain that some of our newly prepared beds washed away. We went back today and covered up some of our seedlings (swiss chard and collards), so hopefully we'll save some of those. We stood up all our tomatoes, which had fallen over. We will definitely try a new way to stake them next year. A lot of the tomatoes had split, but these shall not go to waste- it's always good to have a reason to freeze them for the spaghetti sauce in the winter.
Our pumpkins are looking good and so are the squash.
Our vines are also loving the much needed rain. After we harvested, I had to irrigate twice (very unusual this time of year). We continue to cut out Pierce's Disease and I saw my first Leaf Roll virus of the year this week as well. The leaves of one vine had turned completely bright red. We'll cut that out soon. We're going to try to put in another bed tomorrow, spread more compost, keep weed eating. I'm sure Mike and Chad will be sick of weed eating by the end of the season.
We can't get ourselves down because of the weather's minor set-backs, but we must see the progress we've made in reinvigorating this farm in just two months. The progress is truly immense.